Registering for Self Assessment Tax Return

How Do I Register for a Self-Assessment Tax Return?

First-time filers need to register with HMRC to get a Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number. This can be done easily online by using the form here. After registration, HMRC will send your UTR number by post within 10 days (or 21 days if you are abroad). This number is essential for filing your return.

To register for Self-Assessment Tax Return, you can do so by filling up the information below and paying an administration fee of £80. Once the form has been submitted, you will receive an email with instructions for the payment. This process is very fast and easy, and it will get you registered for self-employment within two weeks.


What happens when I submit the self-employment registration form?

When you submit the self-employment registration form on our website, our team at will:

  • Review the information provided to ensure completeness.
  • Register you with HMRC as self-employed.
  • Obtain your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number.
  • Set up your online account with HMRC. Once the process is complete, you will receive your UTR number and details on how to activate your account for filing self-assessment tax returns.

How long would it take to get registered for self-employment?

The registration process typically takes about 10 days for HMRC to send your UTR number by post, or 21 days if you are abroad. Once you receive your UTR, you can set up your online account and begin managing your tax affairs​.

What do I need to prepare my first tax return?

To prepare your first tax return, you will need:

  • Your UTR number.
  • National Insurance number.
  • Records of all income and expenses.
  • P60 or P45 if you were employed at any point during the tax year.
  • Bank statements and receipts to substantiate your claims for expenses.
  • Details of any untaxed income, such as rental income, dividends, and investments​

You can get help in preparation of your self assessment tax return by completing this form here.



What if I was an employee through the middle of the tax year?

If you were employed for part of the tax year, you need to include both your employment and self-employment income in your self-assessment tax return. You will need your P45 or P60 from your employer to report the income and taxes already paid through PAYE (Pay As You Earn). This ensures you are taxed correctly on all your income for the year​.

What taxes will I pay as self-employed?

As a self-employed individual, you will be responsible for:

  • Income Tax: Based on your taxable profits after deducting allowable expenses.
  • Class 2 National Insurance: If your profits are above the small profits threshold.
  • Class 4 National Insurance: If your profits are above the lower profits limit. Additionally, if you are in the construction industry, you may need to consider CIS (Construction Industry Scheme) deductions​.

What is CIS tax?

CIS tax refers to the Construction Industry Scheme, which requires contractors to deduct money from a subcontractor’s payments and pass it to HMRC. These deductions count as advance payments towards the subcontractor’s tax and National Insurance. If you are working under CIS, it is important to keep accurate records of your deductions to claim them back in your self-assessment tax return​.

How can I get a tax repayment?

To claim a tax repayment:

  • File your self-assessment tax return accurately.
  • Include any CIS deductions and other overpaid taxes.
  • HMRC will calculate the amount owed to you and issue a repayment. Ensure that all your records and claims are accurate to avoid delays​.

How long does a tax repayment take?

Once you submit your self-assessment tax return and it is processed by HMRC, tax repayments typically take 4 to 6 weeks to be issued. However, the exact time can vary depending on HMRC’s workload and whether they need to check any of the details you provided​.

Can you help me with my self assessment tax return?

Yes, simply use the form here to provide us with some information, and a tax expert will take it from there to complete your self-assessment tax return on your behalf. Once submitted, your dedicated accountant will contact you over the phone for a warm introduction and to answer any questions you may have.